Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The First Training Horse!

So, I've started advertising my services to the the public. I'm charging $450 a month, including full board, for horse training. I have been pleasantly surprised by the response I have been receiving! Even though I do not have a lot of experience, people are interested in my services and are looking to send their horses my way. What gives me an edge? Perhaps its the cheaper price. My price is relatively low, paying me very little at per hour rate. But I'm charging so low because I'm looking to build a a client base and develop good, strong references for future use. Perhaps the videos I have supplied are giving me that extra little something. I notice that most trainers do not include video and the client is left to wonder what really goes on between trainer and horse. I supply my ads with footage of me working with the animal - the best proof there really is! Or perhaps its the absolutely wonderful letter of recommendation renowned trainer and clinician Patrick King has written for me. Again, I haven't seen other trainers providing such references and Patrick's kind words really are meaningful to a client looking for the best for their horse.

Since I've posted my ads I have brought in one outside horse. He is a 5 year old buckskin quarter horse gelding named Ax. When Ax's owner contacted me he was wary of the fact that I am still in high school. He simply didn't believe me when I promised him I would work with the colt 5 days a week for 2 hours each day. I feel my age is a huge disadvantage for me at this point as people are extremely skeptical. But Hey, we all have to start somewhere right? Eventually, I was able to win over the fellow and Ax was hauled to Cherry Blossom within the next few days.

Ax has been a pleasure to work with over spring break. He is a very curious, happy individual. Not to mention, he is absolutely gorgeous. Ax works well on the ground with sharp responses. He works great under saddle as well and picks up on cues remarkably quickly. We've been dealing mainly with arena work but I've taken him out alone on the trail as well and he seems to really excel out there. The eventual goal is for Ax to become a team-penner so I'm planning on a trip to a farm with cattle in the near future. Ax has just one, slight issue. He likes to buck. A lot. But, really, it's only at the canter. He'll buck on a lunge line and he'll buck with you on him when you start to lope. Some days, they're only little crow hops, but other days? He's probably thrown my back out a few times in his bronc-ish tantrums. This is a serious issue, and while I am able to simply ride throw it without being deterred, I simply cannot send a training horse back to it's owner trying to send a rider throw the rafters at a canter. This is something I simply must over come, my entire future seems to lie with the outcome of this colt. If I do well, the owner will spread a good word about my services. But if I were to fail? Word would spread like wildfire of my inability to correct and problem, leaving my entire career on the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment