Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Horse That Changed My Life

I can remember sitting on the raised platform above the auction block with my father to my left at just nine years old.. There was a distinct excitement in the air as people raised their number on prospects, the auctioneer's voice going a mile a minute in the background. The horse I had hopes for was nearly black with a striking white blaze and four white stockings. When he entered the pen to be sold, I was tensed. I didn't even know who he had gone to when the auctioneer trumpeted "Sold!" over the loud speaker. I looked to my anxiously, he smiled and told me we had won the bid. I must have cried a bit then, and darted from my seat to meet the horse that would change my life.


Joker, as was the little 14.2hh geldings suitable name, turned out to me a hellish nightmare. The gelding was completely unbearable. He was danger to myself and anyone else who got on his back or happened to be around at the time. At the gate, he would set back on his haunches and whip turn after turn with a refusal to leave the gate. If you managed to get him away from the gate and asked for anything above the speed of a walk, he would immediately take off and and run into anyone else who was in the arena at the time, slinging his neck over their own mounts top line and plowing his chest into the horse. It was terrifying! None of the trainer's had much success in fixing the issue. One friend of mine, who was quite a bit older than myself thought she could solve the issue when Joker refused to enter the indoor arena. She got on and immediately Joker was spinning circles from one side of the barn to the other, never moving an inch closer to the arena gate. After that, my friend called it quits.

One day, a well known clinician visited the barn and I was hopeful that the clinic would be a great starting place in resolving issues with Joker. I was sadly disappointed however my the advice the man had to offer. After watching me try to handle Joker, and not having much luck he told me that I needed to sell the horse as soon as possible. Joker was too much horse for me to ever handle. Perhaps it was that statement that fueled the fire within me that still burns feverishly any time I work with a horse. After that, I took Joker to the round pen. It was the first time I would ever attempt this and had only gotten the idea from a kids series book titled "Heartland." Much like in the book I performed what is referred to as a "join up." It was the first real break through I had had with the troublesome gelding. When he lowered his head and licked his lips I bent down and amazingly, the gelding turned and came to me. Through hard work and lots and lots of research I was able to slowly overcome all of Joker's issues.

The little black gelding became the most amazing mount I have ever had the delight of owning. I took him to fun shows and won every class, earning countless ribbons. I could call him into me and he'd follow no matter the pace or place. I could ride him bareback, jumping heights taller than an upright barrel. I could slip off the bridle and tack and ride completely free, just one it the horse. I could throw a blindfold across his eyes and take away his vision completely and ride at all gaits. He was a remarkable horse and I don't expect to experience such a bond with any horse like that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment